Cold weather acts as a threat to people’s health, facilitating diseases and viruses transmission, but at the same time, causes other types of problems. One of those would be the freezing of pipes, decreasing the efficiency of water outputs and filtration systems for all brands. As such, we would like to share some useful tips to protect your pipes and water systems, to face the harsh cold more safely!
Common problems: less water output & more leakage incidents
It is an unsatisfying experience to find that the water is not running from your tap on a cold winter morning, when all you need is a cup of coffee to wake you up. While water shutdown can happen, it is a rare instance, and the phenomenon should be blamed on the low temperature.
Typically for purifiers with membrane filters, such as Ultra filtration, nano filtration and reverse osmosis purifiers, the water output decreases with the cold weather as low temperature makes the fine holes inthe membrane contract and lowers the filtration rate. As a result, less water will be able to pass through the membrane.
Another winter issue is water leakage. Pipe lines and filters in water purifiers are connected by a lot of joints, and the low temperature make the contacting parts not as effective as usual. This will cause water leakage to happen more easily, and the cold weather should be blamed.
Different protections for different water filters
1. For outdoor central water purifiers or softeners: when the temperature is less than 0 degree, it is usually suggested to move the systems into an indoor environment until the end of the cold days. In case this solution is not available, Greenwave can help providing you some protective coats for the machines, for a small cost.
2. For indoor drinking water purifiers: the performance of the membranes and therefore the water output can both be affected by the cold weather. To avoid this issue, make sure the room temperature is above 0 degree, or if going out or not using it for a longer duration, shut down both the water source and power before letting all the water run out.
3. For the frozen water treatment systems, it is necessary to install it in a room with a temperature above 10 ℃ for at least 36 hours, to let the frozen system thaw completely. It could be put back on again after that. Please do not thaw the purifier with hot water or any heating system, as this will cause irreversible damage. For the defrozened system, please make sure that no part is distorted before you switch on the power and water source. If there is any water leakage or other abnormal occurrences during reuse, please stop using it and contact service people for necessary repairing.
4. For WaterBaby faucet water filters: please run lukewarm water first and gradually switch to hot water. Using hot water directly will have a chance to cause the casing to break due to the sudden temperature differences.
Notes: let the water run out for a couple of minutes before using the filtered water for the defrozened systems, or systems you have not used for at least a week. For RO systems, you will need to empty at least one tank of purified water before youuse it for drinking/cooking.
How to prevent pipes from freezing
To prevent pipes from freezing, a good solution would be to keep them warm and the water inside running, when the temperature has violently dropped outside. Below are some tips to help you protecting your pipes:
· Bundle up the pipes before the cold wave arrives. Use the insulation to tightly seal the places with leaking problems or the pipes not in the wall. Be generous with the insulation since more insulation will ensure less leakage. It is always necessary to use pipe insulator to cover the outdoor tap water pipes. The thick insulator will be like a coat for human body and protect the pipes well.
· Open the cabinet doors in kitchen and bathrooms to allow warmer air circulate around the piping.
· Turn off dripping faucets and monitor your water meter to check for unseen leaks once the weather has evolved to a warmer temperature.
Note: In case of that pipes burst, please turn the water off at your place’s main shutoff valve, then turn all the inside faucets on to drain the water out of your pipes. The relevant municipal department will take emergency measures to repair the cracked pipes, which will also result in more pollutants like sands, rusts, and other sediments entering the water which will block the water filters. As a result, it is often suggested to have the water filters replaced to ensure clean water and proper function of the water filtration system.
How to thaw your frozen pipes
If you turn on a faucet and only a trickle comes out, this might be caused by the frozen pipes. If the water is still running, you can take the following steps but if you suspect a more serious problem, call a plumber.
· Run the water all the time if you only have a trickle of water coming out from the taps with frozen pipes. If you know where the frozen part is, you could wrap a towel on it and warm it up with warm water or a hair drier.
· Apply heat to the section of frozen pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, a portable space heater, or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water.
· Apply heat until full water pressure is restored. Check all other faucets in your home to find out if you have additional frozen pipes. If one pipe freezes, others may freeze, too.
If you are unable to locate the frozen area, if the frozen area is not accessible, or if you cannot thaw the pipe, call a plumber.
Protect yourself as well
Lastly, we would also like to take this opportunity to present you some of the tips to beat the cold weather and to ensure you a warm and healthy winter season:
· Drink more water: water will help your metabolism by maintaining proper function of human cells. Moreover,the lack of water in winter can be especially dangerous, causing winter dehydration for the unsuspecting people. For more information on this subject, check the following article:
· Increase outdoor activity: this will produce more heat and thus adjust metabolism, enhancing organ functions. However, be sure to check the pollution levels, as winter air pollution is heavily present in China, and not advisable for outdoor activities.
· Sleep: winter is a harsh season, and to conserve strength and store up energy are essential in making you stay vigorous in both mind and body.
· Drink more tea: tea has a multitude of benefits, such as refreshing, energizing, and memory enhancing, while being recognized as an anti-tumor substance.
· Increase ventilation: to increase the ventilation by opening your windows might seem a weird idea given the outside temperature, but it will help bring fresh air in your house. Ten to 15 minutes before sleep will make your night time definitely saner!
To conclude, we feel that it is important for our clients and friends to know what to do in order to protect their clean water sources, and we hope that the above tips will prove useful to you!
If your water purifier happens to be leaking, or if you have any question or need any help related to protection or filtration, please stay calm and contact Greenwave!
some pictures used in the article from internet 本文部分图片来自网络