The Covid-19 situation has been, and still is, a certain source of stress and undesired changes for many families in China. From people stuck outside of China for a long time, to others willing to go back on holidays to see their loved ones after a prolonged stay, moving out or preparing for trips are the current trend.
Water filters (and some other things) can be quite tedious to handle in these cases, necessitating some attention before the due-date, while procedures and preparations for different categories of items can also be stressful. You can find in this article many advices and tips on how to handle this situation the best!
First steps if you can't go back to China
and need to move out or repatriate
1. Asking people you can trust to help, for example your ayi, to organize your belongings and clean the apartment: many people have a good relationship with their ayi, with a bond of trust having developed over the months/years between both parties, and it makes sense to ask her to help you with the moving preparations remotely, before interacting with a moving consultant.
2. Finding a moving company will greatly help you with the procedures, stocking the stuff in their warehouse for the time being or moving them to a certain new destinations. Moving companies are used to handling this type of cases and will simplify your handling of the situation.
3. Communication is key, and use therefore lots of video chats and give/ask for photos of your belongings in order to make the most of the time spent and increase efficiency. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say!
We highly recommend you to contact some of our quality partners in the moving industry such as SAE, CIM, Asian Tigers or Hermes relo. We have great relationships with these partners, so will be able to facilitate your first dealings with them.
In case you are moving house
Filters could be disconnected and re-installed on the same day if you are moving locally. You can do that yourself if you are using simple shower or faucet filters. However, for faucet filters, drinking water purifiers and so on, we recommend you arrange your supplier to come and help.
We provide the services of uninstalling, transporting and then re-installing your water filtration systems in your new home. We simply ask you to just notify us 2 days in advance. A certain fee might be needed for the service.
If you are moving from one city to another, we are unable to help you with the transportation. However, we can efficiently help you uninstall and then arrange a trusted technician re-install your filtration systems in your new city.
Extra note: if your new home has a water filter, please arrange an indoor consultation or have your water tested. Based on our experiences, few landlords will invest significantly in good quality ones.
In case you are repatriating
Moving internationally can be done by various ways. Air or land shipments are usually faster than sea shipments, according to the size of the shipments.
Regarding Greenwave in particular, just let us know 3~5 working days in advance. We will send our team to disconnect all the filters at your convenience. (Though some ex-clients asked if Greenwave buys back the filters before, we do not have that service as of now.)
What to do with filters/items not needed any more
Moving out often means to let go of some belongings you do not need anymore, or that you want to replace in your new area or already possess in your home-country. Therefore, knowing what to do with them to maximize their potential is a great way to make a small profit or happy people! Here are a few options, for both used filters or any other item you do not want or cannot keep:
1. Give to your friends who are staying here: providing your friend with a shower filter before leaving can be a great way to say farewell (do not forget to provide them with our coordinates in order to help them with the maintenance as we did with you!)
2. Donate to charity (some organizations such as Shanghai Heart 2 Heart are very easily contactable and will definitely thank you for your generous donations)
3. Give to your ayi or landlord as a farewell gift (in case of water filters, same as above, our contact can help them)
4. Resell on Second-hand platforms such as Shanghaimamas.org, Smartshanghai.com orTheBeijinger.com, or join some Wechat groups specialized in second-hand dealings (we can invite you in some of those if needed, in Shanghai, Beijing or Guangzhou)
They are very helpful channels. Within the process, we could provide all the info for the products and detailed service record if needed. Technical support such as delivery and installation will be provided for the new users.
In case you leave just for holidays
For central water filters/softeners, shower filters, faucet filters and other non reverse osmosis filters, there is no much to do except switching off main water source and power supply. Letting the water run through the systems for a few minutes will be the only necessary thing to do before using the water after you get back.
If a Reverse Osmosis drinking water purifier is used, you should do the following before leaving:
Upon return, you can counter the above 3 steps and do the following to ensure the freshness of the purified drinking water.
An important tip before going on holidays, given the precariousness of the current international situation, would be to pre-pack before leaving. Pre-packing at least the items you would want to retrieve in case of complications, if you were to be forced to stay outside of China, is essential. Important documents or every day-use items should be packed for potential delivery to you from a moving agency or friends who stayed here.
Another tip is to use a dehumidifier. Humidity is a big risk regarding the impact it can have on your belongings. To use a dehumidifier 48 hours before your move is essential to make sure all your items are safe from this risk.
We wish everyone a safe and smooth time for the summer and the rest of year. Do reach our customer service team for any info or support as needed! Greenwave team will be here at all times to help as much as we can.